The Web has enabled a globally connected network of individuals and communities, but divides still exist and emerge in various online environments. Fostering an inclusive and just online environment is a persistent challenge: Web technologies can hinder or promote equity, and can exacerbate intersectional disadvantages. In recent years, this challenge has been amplified by the increasing prevalence of artificial intelligence and the automation of Web-based tasks as well as ongoing divides in Web access, use, and skill. The theme for WebSci 2021, Globalisation, Inclusion and the Web in the Context of COVID, calls attention to these challenges, particularly in light of the ongoing global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Web Science is an interdisciplinary field dedicated to understanding the complex and multiple impacts of the Web on society, and vice versa. As such, the field of Web Science is particularly well situated to address these pressing issues. This year’s theme seeks to call attention to core issues facing the field, but as always we welcome a broad array of submissions relevant to Web Science.
Call for Papers
Building on our theme for 2021, we especially welcome contributions that:
● Have a broader perspective on the Web and that combine analyses of Web data and other types of data (e.g., from surveys or interviews) to better understand user behaviour (i.e., online and offline)
● Present successful cases of interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary Web research
● Examine trends in globalisation, fragmentation, rejoining, and Balkanisation of the Web
● Examine automation and AI in all its manifestations relevant to the Web
● Interrogate questions of discrimination, representation, and fairness
● Bring lenses such as intersectionality or design justice to questions of marginalisation and inequality
● Consider the impact of COVID on technology adoption, risk perception and risk taking, rates of change, change management, digital health, and privacy
Methodologically, Web Science is a discipline that is agnostic to specific methods. We welcome quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research, including methods from the social sciences and computer science. In addition, we welcome work that explores the ethics of Web-based data collection and research.
More broadly, possible topics for submissions include (but are not limited to) the following:
● Ethical challenges of technologies, data, algorithms, platforms, and people in the Web
● Modeling Web-related structures, data, users and behaviours
● Impact of AI and machine learning on the development of Web Science
● Detecting, preventing and predicting anomalies in Web data (e.g., fake content, spam, algorithmic and data biases)
● Data curation, Web archives and stewardship in Web Science
● Safeguarding and governance of the Web, including anonymity, security and trust
● Temporal and spatial dimensions of the Web as a repository of information
● The architecture and philosophy of the Web
● Social machines, crowd computing and collective intelligence
● Analysis and modeling of human vs. automatic behaviour (e.g., bots) and their influence on the structure of the Web and responding behaviour
● Health and well-being online
● Humanities, arts, and culture on the Web
● Critical analyses of the Web and Web technologies
● Web economics, social entrepreneurship, and innovation
● Analysis of online social and information networks
● Legal issues including rights and accountability for AI actors
● Inclusion, literacy and the digital divide
● Health, politics, and education on the Web
WebSci 2021 : 13th ACM Web Science Conference will take place in Online. It’s a 5 days event starting on Jun 21, 2021 (Monday) and will be winded up on Jun 25, 2021 (Friday).
WebSci 2021 falls under the following areas: WEB SCIENCE, SOCIAL SCIENCE, etc. Submissions for this Conference can be made by Feb 19, 2021. Authors can expect the result of submission by Apr 09, 2021. Upon acceptance, authors should submit the final version of the manuscript on or before May 10, 2021 to the official website of the Conference.
Please check the official event website for possible changes before you make any travelling arrangements. Generally, events are strict with their deadlines. It is advisable to check the official website for all the deadlines.
Other Details of the WebSci 2021
Credits and Sources
| WebSci 2021 : 13th ACM Web Science Conference|