The 2021 conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education will take place between June 14 and 18 2021, in Utrecht (Netherlands) and virtually.
Mindful of the current challenges that we face, the conference theme will be:
Mind the Gap: AIED for Equity and Inclusion.
Over the past decades, racial and other bias-driven inequities have persisted or increased, diversity remains low in many educational and vocational contexts, and educational gaps have increased. Despite efforts to address these issues, biases based on factors such as race and gender persist. These issues have come to the forefront with recent crises around the world. In this conference, we invite the AIED community to reflect on issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion in regards to the educational tools and algorithms that we build, how we assess the efficacy and impact of our applications, the theories that we build on and contribute to, and within the AIED society. The use of intelligent educational applications has increased, particularly within the past few years. As a community, development and assessment practices mindful of potential (and likely) inequities are necessary. Likewise, planful diversity, equity, and inclusion practices are necessary within the AIED society and home institutions and companies.
Potential topics related to the conference theme include:
- Promoting equity in research
- Biases in algorithms, AI, or applications
- Multicultural aspects of AI in Ed
- Supporting underachieving students
- Cultural and population differences
- AI in Ed for underserved communities and marginalized populations
- Gender and sex-based biases
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion in the community
- Data mining techniques to measure equity